As the summer holiday season begins long lazy days on the beach lie ahead. Be the hottest family on the sand with our guide to beach essentials.
1. Swim Suits – Mini Boden is the one-stop shop for all your colourful beachwear. Stocking everything from Rash suits, to trunks and comfy towelling ponchos. We particularly love this printed swimsuit for girls. Age 18months plus. Mini Boden, £18.
2. Swim Nappy – There’s no need for disposable swim nappies with one of these colourful and comfy nappies. From JoJoMamanBebe, £12.
3. Swim Aids – I’m a big fan of the SwimFin buoyancy aid. Kids love the shark fin design and with their arms free they are encouraged to swim. £19.99.
4. UV Protection Sun Wear – great for little ones and easier than slapping on endless rounds of suncream. Choose all-in-ones of tops and bottoms. The Beach Factory has a great range of suits for all ages. Legionnaire’s hats which protect tot’s faces and sensitive necks are perfect for keeping little heads cool. Choose ones that can be worn in and out of the water.
5. UV Pop Up Tents – Useful as a base on the beach and can be used for playing, feeding and naps. My kids often curl up for a little snooze in the shade after hours of fun in the sea and sand. They are also for perfect protection from the British Summer weather hazards such as blowing sand, rain and wind. The Beach Factory, £27.95
6. Suncream – UV sunwipes are great way to safely cover on the move. Also recommended are coloured spray creams as you can see where you’ve creamed avoiding missed patches. I’m a fan of the sticks and roll-ons for busy little tot’s sensitive ears, necks and cheeks. Available from all good chemists and supermarkets.
7. Anti Mosquito Gizmos – Anti-Mosquito T Wipes – Uses Chinese Eucalyptus instead of DEET but has been proven to be just as effective in field tests. Safe for pregnant women and children, even newborns. Comes in handy five-tissue packs, cost £4.99 and each wipe can be used up to 10 times. Also DEET free are the Squeeze and Stick Anti-Mosquito patches, £5.99 from Green Baby.
8. Cooling Spray – These spray cans provide instant relief in hot sticky weather. Perfect for little ones and grown-ups you can use them directly on your face or body in the heat. Find them in chemists and travel shops.